Job Title: Communications and Partnerships Associate
Reporting to: Communications Lead
Summary of Position/ Role
BarefootLaw is an innovative non-profit organisation, providing legal support to the public; innovating around technology and novel approaches, to simplify and disseminate legal information; and provide guidance for legal issues and queries to the public, with the goal (BHAG) to “make access to justice and the law readily available to 50 million people across Africa, by 2030.”
The role of the Communications and Partnerships Associate is to strengthen the capacity of BarefootLaw, through communications and partnerships, engaging the public, partners and other designated stakeholders on the work of BarefootLaw, and to leverage these engagements into meaningful and reciprocal relationships, where the brand of BarefootLaw is visible publicly, in a positive light and with meaningful partnerships that drive towards the 2020 BHAG.
The position works directly within the Communications department, leveraging the team’s personnel and resources, to drive content generation and engagement, build interaction and manage communication to the public and for different stakeholders.
The position also works with the Strategy and Partnerships Directorate, to build, manage and prosper relationships of the organisation with different publics, and partners, towards a robust partnership network.
- Good writing and editing skills – excellent written and spoken language abilities in at least 1 local language, and English – ‘the more the merrier’.
- Excellent speaking skills – Comfortable with public speaking and networking
- Creativity – wow us with your ability to think outside the box;
- Excellent Research skills
- Photography and videography skills – the camera needs to be your friend;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Committed to learn – open to critique;
- Adaptability, flexibility;
- Work well in a team
- Have itchy fingers for the latest trends in communications;
Support the Communications Department with the following tasks:
- Preparation and production of communication materials, including fact sheets, brochures, success stories, infographics, newsletters and publications, media releases, blogs etc;
- Regularly update the BarefootLaw Social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), website and newsletters with relevant material, highlighting key events and achievements;
- Assist in the development, initiate preparation of press statements, media releases while capturing key messages of BarefootLaw’s work;
- Be actively involved in attending and preparing pre- and post-outreach material;
- Participate in the creation of multimedia, including photography and videography of all BarefootLaw activities;
- Support in the development of feature articles related to BarefootLaw activities/events.
- Provide support in the development of all BarefootLaw publications, coordinate launch events;
- Monitor and engage local and international media and document statements and news that involves access to justice;
- Assist in monitoring and assessing BarefootLaw social media engagements and provide support in improving BarefootLaw’s presence in Social media platforms;
- Assist the Head of Communications in conducting any campaigns and events that the BarefootLaw undertakes and assist in planning and implementing new initiatives;
- Assist the Head of Communications with any other duties as may be assigned.
Work with the Strategy and Partnerships Directorate to:
- Manage partner relationships through the partners database and records, update and maintain partnerships through constant communication;
- Identify opportunities with potential strategic partners and funders to support BarefootLaw’s work;
- Plan and coordinate community outreach activities;
- Build community networks and collaborations with special interest groups, local leaders, community-based organisations and government institutions;
- Support different projects in all phases of their partnering process, exploration, proposal development, project initiation and entry, and continuous working relations;
- Undertake any other administrative tasks assigned by BarefootLaw.
- Bachelors degree in Journalism, Mass communications or related fields;
- Fluency in at least one local language and English. Command of a more than one local language is an added advantage;
- Two–years‘ experience in a fast-paced communications environment, with networking/ public speaking;
- Training or Certification in Communications / Media / Public speaking an added advantage.
Candidates with the necessary qualifications and experience should submit their application letter, updated CV and copies of academic certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is Tuesday 10th November 2020 at 5:00pm. While BarefootLaw appreciates all applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.