When a person has a case against him/ her in Court, sometimes that person asks to be released on Bail.

A person can then be released on what is called a Cash or a Non-Cash Bail.

In case a person is released on a Cash Bail, then that person is usually asked to pay a certain amount of money to Court, which money can be claimed back after the Bail comes to an end.

However, if a person failed to fulfill the Bail expectations leading to its cancellation, then such a person cannot claim the money.

But many times, people don’t know or don’t even bother to claim back this money because they don’t know how to claim it back.

Here’s how !!
Here is a brief general outline of some of the ways in which Bail money can be claimed back.

But before you start asking for this money back, your case must be completed. This means that your case must have been decided and judgement made, whether in your favour or against.

Steps to claim back the money.

1) The person who paid the Bail money should write an application to the Chief Magistrate of the Court seeking to have this money given back.

This application should have;

a) The Original bail/bond form
b) The Original receipt
c) The Order for refund by court
d) Photocopy of identity card
e) Discharge Order

2) The application is then forwarded to the Cashier, who then writes to the High Court requesting for a refund of the said money.

3) The money is then sent to the Court for payment to the applicant from where it will be picked.


1. Always keep copies of every document you submit to the Court during this process.

2. Make sure you constantly follow up so as to keep up to date about the status of your application.

Peace Nekesa

This is an eyeopener, keep it up! kuddos!

February 28, 2017 at 5:51 am
Ojamu peter

Thank you very much for your guidence.
My question about bail money is: Does refund apply to police bond money also?

February 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Okiror Ibrahim

Message *They say,’Ignorance of the law,is No defence’!
Thankyou for helping us to eliminate ignorance.At no cost!

February 28, 2017 at 8:06 am
Okello Chrispus kiyonga

Best post ever

February 28, 2017 at 11:19 am

kuddos on the revealing advice
now my question is, how rather what are the proper procedures of opening up a case against a particular police officer for brutality BUT not the entire police force

February 28, 2017 at 1:59 pm
jonathan kitonsa

i did apply for my bail money but am still being made to wait even after opening up a bank account

February 28, 2017 at 3:01 pm
occur Rasul

Thanks for the wonderful message. Many do not know this.

February 28, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Musingo Umar Shaban

Thanks alot.

March 1, 2017 at 5:02 am

Thanks for opening our eyes

March 1, 2017 at 5:20 am
Isaac Iretai

Regulations for refund of police bond money should also be enacted.

May 11, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Thank You For Your Info

May 12, 2017 at 3:21 am
Your Comment
Your email address will not be published